Director of User Experience
2018 - Current
- Management of all UX teams for 3 business lines in the Digital Retail space inside Cox Automotive. Automotive software, all financial B2B products.
- Established and drove the overall strategy of the user experience across those platforms.
- Managed relationships with Business, Product, and Engineering.
- Hiring of contractors and full time employees
- Creation of the UX processes and practices, including workshops to help identify future and further current products.
See the PDF for more information.
IBM Watson Health
Senior Design Manager
May 2016 - June 2018
- Created the IBM Design Studio for the Watson Health Headquarters in Cambridge, MA of around 28 multi-disciplinary designers.
- Created Watson for Genomics. A late-stage cancer application that allows Pathologists and Oncologists to find the best clinical trials and drugs that match that particular cancer.
- MManaged the Oncology team in NYC for 5 months, and the Life Sciences team in Austin for several months.
- Managed the UX and team for the Consumer Health Pillar offerings including experience strategy, facilitating workshops, creating Proof of Concepts and demos for partners like the FDA using Blockchain technology.
- Worked on Watson Health’s Design System. Design principles, interaction design patterns, and case study templates to help with design reviews.
Highway 22 (a UX Firm)
August 2015 - February 2016
- User Research and interaction for a Marketing agency, and Federal online insurance application, to increase understanding of the user, by utilizing demographics, competitive/comparative analysis, current state analysis, personas, experience maps and presenting the UX process to stakeholders, thus changing major aspects of the products.
- Redesign of the Highway 22 website, including user research, current state analysis, content strategy, and contributing the HTML and CSS to the final production code. The updated site has increased traffic and online referrals by 67.3%.
Interaction Design Manager
January 2013- April 2015
- Managed a team of interaction and UI designers using the Situational Leadership method for the retail and digital teams at H&R Block.
- UX Evangelist, promoting UX across all business groups and stakeholders.
- Team lead for the client-facing mobile apps. Project management, research, and interaction decreasing the pages needed while increasing user interactions by 165%.
- Developed RFP’s and managed external firm relationships to help out the UX team.
- Created a Design System, interaction standards, spec docs, style guides, over 10 prototypes for user testing, and consulted on creating responsive websites for multiple internal teams.
- Conducted training in various tools for the UX teams.
- Point of Contact / Project Manager for mobile apps:
- Redesign of 3 client-facing mobile applications
- Project Managed all 3 apps
- Changed interaction standards
- Interaction Design and assets for iOS, Android, iPad. Mobile usage increased 165%
- Data Analysis
- Quantitative and quantitative research
- Personas created
- User stories
- Experience maps
- Design briefs
- Stakeholder interviews
- Sketching, wireframes
- Task flows
- Prototypes for the majority of Usability testing we did with Usagility (a usability firm)
Senior UX Strategist III
2007 - 2008 and August 2010 - January 2013
- UX design for internal applications: Customer care app for Chrysler's CVP program, proof of concepts for would-be apps and brainstorming new ideas for the "Innovation" award-winning team.
- UX Lead: Lead for the CMS for Sprint Zone. Hired team members. HTML, jQuery, CSS Frameworks. IA, site maps, written specs, design brief.
- Proof of Concepts and Innovation team member: Think tank member and POC creation.. Web, and mobile. On a patent for "Method of Accessing Services From a Mobile Communication Device". Used any number of skills and applications. Sketching to Flash Catalyst and everything in-between.
Mobile app UX: Agile team creating UX and fake assets for developers. On the Entertainment team for Sprint Zone. Page mock ups for mobile first. CSS Frameworks. Icon design. CSS Sprites. Prototypes. Axure, Illustrator, sketching, Fireworks.
Senior UX Designer
January 2008- November 2008
- UX lead: design and development for Teva’s generic drug companies.
- Created dozens of websites using research, strategy, wireframes, visual design and CSS and HTML.
A Box of Pixels, LLC
Principal, UX Strategy
- Mobile UX of a mobile chat app. Decreased steps, to a create a simplified and cohesive design starting with the Sign In process. Research, analysis, interaction and visual design.
- Research and interaction design, web design for MacSource, River City Solutions, Ingram’s magazine, David Nanos productions, ThinqDigital and F2 New Media.
- Adobe Certified instructor, for ThinqDigital, and did demos across the country for Adobe as well as events and video tutorials for Total Training.
- Sunflower Dermatology launched their website with SEO in mind before building the website which preserved the budget and reduced implementation costs. SEO was or has been implemented. 277.22% increase in organic traffic within 60 days.
- UX Process across creation and enablement the organization
- Experience Strategy
- Creating and managing cross-functional teams
- Hiring both full time and contractors
- Performance plans
- UX Roadmaps
- lean model canvases
- high-level journey mapping and user demographics and segmentations
- Quarterly check ups, 1:1's and accessing team members
- Situational Leadership and other leadership classes.
Types of Expertise
- Design Thinking & workshop facilitation
- Multiple research methods
- Usability testing
- Responsive web & HTML/CSS
- mobile UX for consumer
- Healthcare UX
- B2B UX
- Prototype with about 15 different tools
- 2 Design Systems
- Style guides
- Journey/Experience maps
- Demographics, User Segments, User Behaviors, Personas
- User flows
- Task flows
- Wireframes with whichever tool (Sketch, Figma, InDesign, etc.
- Current State Analysis
- working with screen recording tools like Auryc
Speaker, Instructor, Organizer, Community Professional
Harvard Extension School guest speaker.
Trilogy bootcamps talk on portfolios and getting ready in July to do a panel for an international conference.
Speaker at Adobe MAX 2010/2015 for a full day per-conference class on UX and UI for everyone, focusing on mobile. Other slides and presentations can be found on Slideshare.
Organizer of D2W, a designer/developer workflow conference for designers and developers for 4 years in Kansas City with speakers from all over the globe.
Adobe Community Professional and Freelance Professional. Spoke for Adobe at webinars and seminars, holding workshops and helping the Adobe Community. I did several video tutorials for them and Total Training.
Adobe User Group Manager. I created a web group, a dev group, a design group that is still going today and had an IxDA UX group for several years.
Adobe Certified Instructor I taught both print and web applications. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Fireworks, Flash Catalyst, Acrobat, Dreamweaver which I was all Certified in, but also taught OSX, Digital Camera, HTML/CSS.
Speaker at many conferences. CFUnited, NCDevCon, 360Flash, and many, many others, typically speaking on either CSS or Design for Developers. I was passionate about the designer/developer workflow.
Mentor via UXPA and LinkedIn I am currently mentoring 2 young women.